TIME, with an audience of more than 120 million people worldwide across its platforms, and the American Society of Media Photographers, for over 75 years one of the world's leading photography organizations, have joined forces to create the most important new photo competition in a generation, showcasing the photographic portrait in all its forms, and celebrating the amazing diversity of the people and cultures across our planet.
Open to everyone over 18 around the globe, there are over $16,000 in cash prizes, with other prizes including a paid photo assignment for TIME, a custom three month mentorship with the photo editors of TIME, and Lifetime complimentary Membership in ASMP. All winners will be displayed on TIME.com and ASMP.org, receive personalized awards to display in their home or office, as well as an invitation to a 2024 event in New York City honoring the winners.
Entry period open
Tuesday, September 26 – Tuesday, November 14
(Extended Entry Period from November 15-21)
Winners Announced By
Thursday, January 18
Full Dates, Rules, and More Can Be Found in the Official Terms & Conditions
Five categories are open for entries, with full descriptions below, and entrants can enter more than one category, with as many entries as they choose.
Important: All entries must have been created after September 1, 2020. Additionally, the "Portraits of Influence" and "Series" categories require entrants to provide a short written description of how the images fulfill the category requirements.
Extended entry fees now apply through contest close (November 21, 2023)
Single-Image Categories are $22.50 / Entry ($12 / Student
Series Category is $82.50 / Series Entry (both General and Student Divisions)
Portraits in the World
The human element is never more pronounced than when people are in their environment, doing what makes them happy or what makes them complete. This category is to celebrate those portraits showing people in their environments.
Photograph by Martin Schoeller for TIME
Portraits of Influence
We each have been connected by bonds that defy description. In this category, we ask you to feature images that show who has influenced you, and to also tell us why.
Entrants will be required to provide a short description of the way the subject has influenced you, and why it is meaningful to you.
Photograph by Tania Franco Klein for TIME
Portraits of Family
Those closest to us are often our most photographed subjects. If your pictures feature your family — biological or chosen — we want to celebrate those bonds in this category.
Photograph by David Kasnic for TIME
Best In Show Winner
- The Best In Show winner will be selected from the 1st Place Winners in each category (five General 1st Place winners and five Student 1st Place winners). In addition to the cash prizes noted below, the Best In Show winner will receive two prizes money can't buy; the unique experiences only offered by TIME and ASMP.
- Custom Three Month Mentorship with the Photo Editors of TIME. No matter whether you are a seasoned professional seeking to have a direct communication with the Photo Editors at TIME to elevate your work and develop your body of work, or if you are an aspiring enthusiast who wants to have the best photo editors in the world help you take the next step, this prize is truly something money can't buy. The winner will work with the TIME Photo Department to help create a custom experience including critique, discussion, tips, and more.
- One-Day Paid Photo Assignment for TIME. During the course of the Mentorship, the Best In Show winner will be given an assignment for TIME like any of their world-class contributors. While publication cannot be guaranteed, the process of experiencing an assignment, paid of course, is as rare and unique an opportunity as exists.
- Additional Prize for Best In Show Winner - $5,000. In addition to the cash prizes noted below, the Best in Show Winner will receive an additional five thousand dollar cash prize.
Twenty entrants will share in a cash prize pool of over $16,000, broken down as follows:
- First Place in Category - $1,000
- Second Place in Category - $500
- First Place in Category - $350 (plus a custom Portfolio Review from TIME Photo Editors)
- Second Place in Category - $200
- Each 1st Place Winner will receive a Lifetime Complimentary Membership in ASMP (General) or a three-year Student Membership in ASMP.
- Each 1st Place Winner will receive an invitation for you and a guest to the inaugural ASMP Awards event to be held in New York City in 2024.
- Each Winner will have their work recognized and featured on multiple platforms including TIME.com, ASMP.org, and their various selected social media channels.
- Each Winner will receive a custom, personalized award and unique badge they can feature showing their award for excellence.