Frequently Asked Questions
The Core Information
- The Entry Period opens September 26, 2023, and closes November 14, 2023, with an Extended Entry Period immediately thereafter.
- This event is open to all photographers worldwide at every level of their career, as well as amateurs and enthusiasts. Images must have been created after September 1, 2020.
- Our panel of four judges will choose the two most impactful images in each category, as well ten (10) “Jury Selection” prizes.
- Each category has a General and Student division.
- The Best In Show Winner will receive an additional Cash Prize as well as a Custom Three-Month Mentorship with TIME Photo Editors and a One-Day Paid Photo Assignment for TIME.
- Additional prizes include Lifetime Membership in ASMP; a unique custom, personalized award; invitation for two to the ASMP Awards to be held in 2024; and recognition on both TIME and ASMP selected social media channels.
What work should I submit?
This competition is to celebrate the people who make our world and experience special. These include our family, those who influence us, those who work in their unique environments, and more. Any portrait is accepted in one of our five categories.
What dates do I need to know?
September 26, 2023 - Entry Period Opens
November 14, 2023 - Entry Period Closes
November 15, 2023 - Extended Entry Period Opens (Higher Fees)
November 21, 2023 - Extended Entry Period Closes
November 22, 2023 - January 7, 2024 - Judging Period
On or About January 10, 2024 - Winners Contacted / Verified
On or About January 18, 2024 - Winners Announced
Who are the judges for this year’s competition?
Our incredible panel for 2023 includes some of the best photographers and photo editors in the world.
- Sangsuk Sylvia Kang — TIME Photo Editor
- Dilys Ng — TIME Deputy Director of Photography
- Laura Roumanos — Executive Director of Photoville
- Martin Schoeller — Photographer
What categories are available and what are the fees?
There are five categories, each with two divisions: General and Student.
NOTE: General Entry Ends on November 14 @ 11:59pm ET. The Extended Entry Period remains open for an additional seven days until November 21 @ 11:59pm ET – Extended Entry Fees are 50% Higher! Get your entries in today!
- Portraits of Family ($22.50 / General Entry :: $12 / Student Entry)
- Portraits in the World ($22.50 / General Entry :: $12 / Student Entry)
- Portraits of Influence ($22.50 / General Entry :: $12 / Student Entry) - This category requires a written description of how the person depicted has influenced your life (limited to 150 words).
- Open Category ($22.50 / General Entry :: $12 / Student Entry) - This category is for all images created with generative AI, photo illustrations, or alternative processes. Entrants will be required to describe what techniques were used (limited to 150 words).
- Series Category ($87.50 / General & Student Entry) - This category requires 3-6 images to be submitted, and a narrative description of how the works are connected (limited to 150 words).
Are there discounts for multiple entries?
Yes! If you submit more than five entries in any category, all your future entries (Entry 6+) will receive an additional 10% discount on the entry fees. This applies no matter what category you are submitting in, and even applies on top of your existing member or student discounts! This volume discount is automatically applied and you do not have to enter all the entries at once… as long as you enter them before the deadline, you will get the discount applied!
What are the Prizes?
For details on all the prizes, see above, but this year’s competition highlights include:
- Over $16,000 cash prize pool across twenty winners
- A Unique, Custom Three-Month Mentorship with the TIME Photo Editors
- A One-Day Paid Assignment for TIME
- Portfolio Reviews (Student 1st Place Winners)
- Lifetime Membership in ASMP (Certain Category Winners)
- … So Much More
Who is considered a “Student”?
For this competition, to be eligible for the Student division, you must be over the age of 18 and currently enrolled in an educational program. You will be asked to affirm your eligibility when entering your image, and if selected, you will need to provide proof of current enrollment or your work will be disqualified from the Student division.
What is your policy on AI Generated images?
TIME and ASMP wish to ensure that the creative voices of all photographers are heard, and that the value of human authorship is preserved while utilizing the latest technologies. To that end, images that were created using “generative AI” technologies either in whole (such as through a platform like MidJourney or Dall-E) or in part (using the “Generative Fill” tools in popular imaging editors) MUST be submitted in the Open category. All entrants must attest that work in all other categories was created without using these technologies.
What are the Image Entry Guidelines?
- All files must be in JPEG format.
- File Size Limit: 5 MB.
- Suggested Pixel Dimensions: 1920px on Long Side, but if you don’t know, just submit your highest quality image!
- All images must have been created after September 1, 2020.
- Winners must be ready to confirm their eligibility and submit a full-resolution print-ready image on or around January 10, 2024. If we cannot find you, or you do not respond, your image will be disqualified, and a replacement winner will be determined.
Am I allowed to include any identifying information on the image (i.e. a watermark)?
No. Any image that includes identifying information in the image itself, such as a watermark, will be flagged and the entrant asked to resubmit. In order to keep the judging fair, any images not resubmitted without this information will be disqualified.
How Do I Submit?
All submissions must be made through the entry portal at www.timeasmpphotocontest.com. After setting up your account, you can login to see your entries, add new entries, and get all information at any time before the entry period ends.
For any questions, please send us a message.
What are the Contest Terms & Conditions?
Since 1944, ASMP has been the world’s leader in promoting photographer’s rights, and this commitment extends to the terms of our competitions. Below, please find the ASMP Model Terms & Conditions for Photo / Video Contests, our photographer-first industry-standard set of terms and conditions that all ASMP Contests and Awards adhere to, and that we promulgate freely to all other groups seeking to host a contest where creative works are submitted.
Read the full rules, terms, and conditions.
Any other important info I need to know?
- There is no limit on the number of entries you can submit.
- The decision of the judges is final and binding, with no appeal process.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Any taxes, duties, fees, or other levies on prizes awarded are the sole responsibility of the winner.